Music in the Liturgy
Music has always been a part of the celebration of the Eucharist at St. John’s. Having a monastic history, St. John’s was a forerunner in the use of plainsong in worship in the Episcopal Church. Throughout the years, the music on Bowdoin Street has been led by a series of distinguished musicians with a commitment to music as a vital part of worship for the congregation. Notable among these is Everett Titcomb, who served for fifty years at St. John’s, beginning in 1910. At a typical Sunday Eucharist, the congregation sings three or four hymns, a psalm, and other service music.